Lisa's pancreatitis journey

Chronicling the life of a person impending apon life altering surgery. Removal of a pancreas and other major organs and how it affects pain levels after.

Name:
Location: Richmond, Indiana, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I have 2 cat children that I adore. I suffered for 10 years with chronic pancreatitis. I suffered horribly, no one should have to live I like I did.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

University of Minnesota Medical Center. The surgical waiting room is the long set of windows under the car port.

Two of the nurses taking care of Lisa. Shelley on the left and Gwen on the right.

I went in to see Lisa this morning. She is a lot of pain and is swollen, which are to be expected. She is on 6B room 6232 bed 2. She has the window seat. Dr. Carlson said he wants to have her up and walking by this afternoon. I asked him if that was realistic and he said, "Oh, yeah." I told the nurses and they said if she will be able to sit on the side of the bed and dangle her feet, she will be doing good. She is in a lot of pain, which is understandable. I will not post pictures of her in her hospital bed without her permission. She has that right. Thank you, everyone, for your prays. They are being felt.

I noticed last night when I put the chain on the door in the hotel that the piece that the chain goes into was reversed, so that when I applied the door chain and opened the door, the chain would just fall open. I told the front desk and they sent a maintenance guy up to fix it. He was flabbergasted that it had never been noticed or perhaps reported before.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry and Celeste said...

Hey there. Yep the swelling was a shocker. Now, i know you are a Nurse, Micheal and her spouse, but they have been doing this for years. If they want her up and walking, i hope she really tries it. i know jerry was so still foggy drugged i thought HOW can he walk? But they need her up and moving. also when the spirometer comes along make sure she uses it continually! Jerry had a window seat as well. it was nice for me because i sat and watched the river ice up and i could stretch out along the sill there. this is just the start of her recovery, just like jerry i will assume anyone in the kind of pain they are in right now would say and do anything to keep from doing something uncomfortable. So stand firm for Lisas own good and help her do all they ask. I cant wait to hear shes done her walk down the hall!

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home