Lisa's pancreatitis journey

Chronicling the life of a person impending apon life altering surgery. Removal of a pancreas and other major organs and how it affects pain levels after.

Name:
Location: Richmond, Indiana, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I have 2 cat children that I adore. I suffered for 10 years with chronic pancreatitis. I suffered horribly, no one should have to live I like I did.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Dr. Sean Barnett just came out and spoke with me. He said she is doing great. As far as islet yield they got 370,000 (I think). She may require a little Lantis in the morning once all her islet cells take hold. She is going to be on 6B, but at this moment I don't know exactly where. He said she will feel ok tomorrow (relatively speaking) because of the honeymoon effect, but that Sunday will be her worst day. She has an NG tube and he said once she begins eating, she should have no associated pain with food consumption. Praise God. Dr. Barnett said that they made the incision about 9:20 am and that the actual surgery went pretty quick, but it takes about five hours from the time they take the pancreas for them to return with the islet cells. They said her spleen looked ok, but that had to take it because the blood supply would be compromised, because she had small secondary arteries, and it was best to just take the spleen so it doesn't cause her trouble in the future. She had 7500 cc's of fluid and 2 units of blood. It is going to be a hard road of recovery, but it is all downhill from here. Once she gets up to her room, I will go get something to eat, go back to the hotel and then get some sleep. I am stiff from sitting in this waiting room. I saw lots of people come and lots of people go, and still I sit here. I think if I don't leave soon I will be considered furniture.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jerry and Celeste said...

HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! 370,000!!!!!!! YES YES YESSSSSSSSSS shes soo gonna be OK OK OK! oh my goosebumps on goosebumps i just have such a great feeling on this.. She will be pain free and NOT a diabetic or so slight she can control with diet!! YES YES YES! omgosh it was soo worth being put off and letting things fall according to HIS PLAN!! as much and as desperately as she wanted this surgery earlier maybe this was the perfect time!! im sooo excited i cannot wait for her recovery and where she is at home and taking back her life!!!!!!!!!!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Jerry and Celeste said...

ps get some good rest!!!!! you have had a harder day than Lisa has! shes had a great nap and youve been busy waiting. Now the job of coach and supporter comes in. KEEP STRONG dont let her soften you and let her get away with anything LOL the nurse would come in and say ok time to get up.. jerry would say can i have ten min? well that got old cuz those ten turned into 30 and so on, she caught on, and i was like NO!! get up now while shes here! she doesnt have time to be waiting on you hand and foot. other people are in the same fix you are here and they need to be seen so GET UP!! so youll have to be her encouraging, praising motivational cheerleader! GO LISA GO! Rah RAH RAH!! YEP Lisa, im tellin him to be stern! no rest for the weary you are on the way to recovery and you will WIN!!!!!!!! heck you already have!! now on to the victory lap!!

10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home