Lisa's pancreatitis journey

Chronicling the life of a person impending apon life altering surgery. Removal of a pancreas and other major organs and how it affects pain levels after.

Name:
Location: Richmond, Indiana, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I have 2 cat children that I adore. I suffered for 10 years with chronic pancreatitis. I suffered horribly, no one should have to live I like I did.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Lisa in the preoperative holding area


Dr. Nancy Thorvalson, Anesthesiologist


Lisa getting a nebulizor treatment


Scott Saylor, Registered Nurse Anesthetist



Dr. Sean Barnett, Assisting Surgeon

Friday is finally here. Getting up wasn’t as much of a chore for her like it usually is, probably because she didn’t have her tube feeding going last night. We got up at 4am and she showered again with the antimicrobial soap. It is raining and cold here today but as far as I am concerned the sun is shining. They drew blood for a type and crossmatch for blood. They took a 12 lead EKG (normal sinus rhythm). Dr. Thorvalson, her anesthesiologist, came in and interviewed her. Because her lungs were a little noisy, they ordered a nebulizor (see picture). When the nurse anesthetist, Scott Saylor, and another nurse, Cathy, tried for 20 minutes to start an IV on her, they gave up because they have to start a central line in the neck anyway. She has been very strong today, and her spirits are high. She went to the OR at 8:22 am for them to start the intrajugular access. I cannot say she hasn’t shed a few tears, because this is serious business. Ahe says that the fear of the surgery is not stronger than the fear of living life like she has. Her nurse anesthetist is Scott Saylor. Dr. Sean Barnett is going to be the assisting surgeon. Dr. Sutherland came in to the holding area to see Lisa before they took her. Dr. Sutherland said he was going to give her an On-Q marcaine pain pump for the incisional pain control. I was happy about that. They usually last about two days, and when they run out all that is required is to pull it out like discontinuing an IV. It goes subcutaneously.
Celeste told me about the cafeteria on the 8th floor and she was not lying. I have to finish this post so I can study. It is going to be a long day for me, but her recovery from pancreatitis has begun. Thank you Celeste and Jerry for your support and encouragement. You are terrific people.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry and Celeste said...

Oh I can imagine she was very nervous yet excited too. There is always the fear of the unknown! but to KNOW what lies on the other side is such a wonderful hope that it helps to temper the fear a tad, not much im sure but a good tad. I wish i were there to hug and comfort you Lisa, because I KNOW you will be so much better off now!!

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home