Lisa's pancreatitis journey

Chronicling the life of a person impending apon life altering surgery. Removal of a pancreas and other major organs and how it affects pain levels after.

Name:
Location: Richmond, Indiana, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I have 2 cat children that I adore. I suffered for 10 years with chronic pancreatitis. I suffered horribly, no one should have to live I like I did.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Well today is Sunday and I have never received any of the documentation that was to be held by my husband's employer. I don't understand the HR benefits person, calling me and telling me she had the documentation in front of her last Friday ( before the long weekend) and to schedule my own surgery. Then to find out later last week that no one has ever signed the contracts. I waited all week long for them to fax me a copy of something; as I am not leaving my home without some documentation. I did received a fax after calling and demanding one from the nurse case manager, which is the same documentation they have provided the University of Minnesota for the previous trip ( when they called us, and said we aren't paying for this surgery)
I am to have major medical insurance and transplant insurance, but for this surgery the transplant insurance is only going to pay for the islet cell solution, harvesting and reimplantation. There are so many people that do so little, I don't honestly know why they even have a job. It appears that each insurance company has at least 5 people working behind the scenes, and then each hosptial has the same amount, multiply these together 2 insurance carriers to hospitals and then add the stop loss carrier there are approx. 25 people working ( I wouldn't really say they are working, if you were to ask me) on this, it appears that there are 25 people making somthing so simple way too hard. I was told on Thursday that the Drs. administrative assistant wants to cancel the surgery date, and the financial services person says we are not cancelling this time, we will just make them give us what we need. It remains to be seen if this surgery will occur. If it has to be cancelled I assure you that it won't be done by me this time around, I will physically go to my husbands work and make the lady who called me on the phone make the call and cancel it this go around. My husband earlier in the week told them we need something in our hands, as there are arrangements that need to be made, hotel accomodations, travel arrangements, FMLA needs to done. I still have nothing signed. I will keep this updated as things occur. My husband has been given the name of attorneys by surgeons he works with, I would prefer to not have to go that route, but I won't promise that I won't when all is said and done. We have transplant insurance that is suppose to pay for lodging, travel and meals, even though I don't eat, my husband does and he will be with me in MN for almost a week. This policy is to cover these things, and I just personally think they don't want to pay for anything. There is some blame to place on the employer for having a policy that they can't find and for not taking a look at it since it was purchased 12 years ago. Someday they will have to pay for neglect of duty. But in the mean time I just want fixed, to live a normal life, like other people and not be so sick that I can't do what needs to be done.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry and Celeste said...

Well the bs is over and its Thumpy time! Hang in there Lisa, Friday will be here sooner than you think! Cant wait to hear you are on the other side of the surgery and doing well!! GOOD LUCK and we will ALL be thinking of you!!

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home