Lisa's pancreatitis journey

Chronicling the life of a person impending apon life altering surgery. Removal of a pancreas and other major organs and how it affects pain levels after.

Name:
Location: Richmond, Indiana, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I have 2 cat children that I adore. I suffered for 10 years with chronic pancreatitis. I suffered horribly, no one should have to live I like I did.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

August 17th, 2006

I feel like I should be posting something on here. Even though I have no news to post. I know that there are some faithful followers out there who read, even though you won't leave a comment.
I have to leave the surgery issue behind me now and focus on what I can do to prevent this from happening to someone else. I would like to embark on a new journey of HOPE. I would like to being by saying that the surgery Total Pancreatectomy with islet cell tranplant should be a standard of care for those with chronic pancreatitis if they choose to go this route. I would appreciate any assistance from anyone who knows anything about legislative reform. One question I keep getting asked if why doesn't medicare pay for this aspect of the surgery. The problem for everyone seems to be the cost of the University of Wisconsin Solution needed to obtain islet cells for reimplantation. My answer is I don't know. The only thing I do know is that the hosptials will not book an operating room with insurance approval to pay for this solution. I need a driving force in my life and I have choosen this one to be it. Any assistance that anyone could give me would be so helpful. You don't know when the next person maybe someone in your family that might need this and I don't want anyone else to have to fight to get this done.
I will leave this I am a human, a person who is here, I should be taken care of if the technology is available to take care of me. I am not asking for a hand out, I am the type of person who is willing to work. I am a nurse by profession, a care giver. Although pancreatitis took this away from me, I am still a nurse in my heart, and that is something pancreatitis will never get. It makes more sense to me to fix me, let me work and pay taxes and be a productive member of society than to let me push a tube feeding pole around for nutrition and live off pain medication to make it from hour to hour. The technology is available to fix me, but it seems that I can't get it paid for, this is the craziness of the world we live in. This has to stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home