Lisa's pancreatitis journey

Chronicling the life of a person impending apon life altering surgery. Removal of a pancreas and other major organs and how it affects pain levels after.

Name:
Location: Richmond, Indiana, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I have 2 cat children that I adore. I suffered for 10 years with chronic pancreatitis. I suffered horribly, no one should have to live I like I did.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

I went to see her this morning about 10am. I woke up later than I wanted to, and I was planning on going to church, which started at 10:30. I had to leave after a few minutes. There is a nurse named Tom who is taking care of her today. He didn’t seem too keen on having his picture taken so I didn’t take one. She was hurting, but more awake. I smooched her head and went to church.

I got in the van and punched the address into the navigation system, and I think it was having trouble with my starting position, because it gave me the directions, but wouldn’t give me voice prompting for right or left. Finally it got its stuff together and guided me. It was running a little behind on the turns and I missed a few. It recalculates if you miss one, so it was not a big deal. When I got back I went up to see her again.

She looked much better. She was awake and carrying on conversations. She looked more like her old self. She has an incentive spirometer that she uses every hour for 10 breaths to prevent pneumonia. It helps her get air down into the deep parts of her lungs. When Tom told her that he was going to get her up in the chair today, she said, “Ok, I will do what ever you tell me to do.” Her roommate is a small lady who apparently had a total pancreatectomy a couple of weeks earlier without the islet cell transplant. Apparently her insurance company didn’t want to pay for that….that just sounds so familiar for some reason, but I cannot quite put my finger on it…. Her roommate is up walking around and leaves the room. They have been bringing this lady food trays and everything. I made sure Lisa knew that this lady was very functional.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry and Celeste said...

oh that poor lady, now her dumb insurance will pay for all the diabetes complications that will occur. HOW STUPID OF them and detrimental to her health. Im so glad you all fought for it! Glad to hear Lisa is up and feeling better! Did she get up and sit up today? and use that spirometer as often as she can, even if they arent there , use it anyhow. keep using. it would stink to be set back "if" it can be avoided sometimes things cant be helped. Yep seeing the other lady up and about will be a great motivation! Im so glad shes feeling better. Its all gravy from here on out!

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home