Lisa's pancreatitis journey

Chronicling the life of a person impending apon life altering surgery. Removal of a pancreas and other major organs and how it affects pain levels after.

Name:
Location: Richmond, Indiana, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I have 2 cat children that I adore. I suffered for 10 years with chronic pancreatitis. I suffered horribly, no one should have to live I like I did.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Lisa is feeling better about her release that will happen today. She was able to eat something (meat lover's pizza from Pizza Hutt...not). Her blood sugars have been a little more regulated today. She will go to the Radisson today and Will fly home tomorrow. She said there is just no way to prepare for this surgery, because you don't truly know what to expect until you are in the middle of it. She said it is like getting hit by a truck. She knows that people don't have this surgery unless they need it, and that she knew she had to have this surgery. She says she would have been dead in a year at the rate things were going for her and I do not doubt it. It was taking more pain meds to keep her somewhat comfortable. Those of you who suffer from this disease know the looks you get when you have to ask for more pain meds from your doctors and how you feel like you are crawling on your belly to get them. You are also afraid that maybe this will be the time your doctor will say, "No." You always worry about running out and whether or not your doctor is on vacation, and have trouble getting meds from one of the partners. We have been through the whole gambit, and I know you have too. Pharmacy techs and pharmacists giving you the evil eye. I was once accused of selling them by a pharmacists and then when I asked the tech for his name so I could file a complaint with administration, she would not tell me his name. She was trying to protect her own skin, but I had a right to know. Anyway....

She told me today when she ate, it was like she had a fire in her gut and that she could breathe fire. She is not sure whether she took too many digestive enzymes or not enough or what, but it is a learning curve. She had to go back to pharmacy to get the control solution for the glucometer because they didn't include it in the kit. It was $100, what a racket. She will be home soon. I miss her terribly. We talk on the phone often, so that is good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry and Celeste said...

Jerry said HE KNOWS that feeling he had before surgery! he thinks it was when pain meds would start to wear out. make sure you take your antiacid! and make sure you take those enzymes! jerry says he can take enzymes with some warm water and it will make it go away. remember you might have a bit of gastroparesis after surgery , jerry had severe before surgery, but its better now.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home