Lisa's pancreatitis journey

Chronicling the life of a person impending apon life altering surgery. Removal of a pancreas and other major organs and how it affects pain levels after.

Name:
Location: Richmond, Indiana, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I have 2 cat children that I adore. I suffered for 10 years with chronic pancreatitis. I suffered horribly, no one should have to live I like I did.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

This morning for breakfast they brought for Lisa cream of wheat, two pancakes with syrup, coffee, milk, juice, and of course Bacon. She just looked at the tray with disgust. Then the resident came in and Lisa lifted the lid to show her. She said, "Is this what you want me to eat?" She said, "Oh heavens no." Lisa told her the problem she was having with the whole "I don't eat pork products" thing and she changed the diet order. The doctor was also upset that no one had given her any digestive enzymes. I am not sure how they thought she was going to digest any of it without supplements. She started talking about her diebetic teaching class she had had, and she was floored when Lisa told her she had not been through the class yet. Lisa is a little mad right now, and I don't blame her. The doctor before the surgery told her she would have to eat six small meals a day and they keep bringing her three meals she cannot eat, and give her the insulin. Amazing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Boy! That stinks! That's what I hate about hospitals...they never send me the correct diet! You go get 'em, Lisa!

I remember my last surgery, breakfast was the only meal I liked in the hospital. I got oatmeal, a hard boiled egg, 1/2 bagel, and half of a banana each morning. However, one morning they did not put my egg or my bagel on my tray. They gave me cold cereal and no milk instead of oatmeal, and my banana was all mush and brown. I told the lady that brought my tray and she seemed unimpressed that there was nothing there for me to eat! I asked her if she could at least give me a hard boiled egg and 1/2 a banana. She said she would if I insisted, but that she would have to deliver the foods to all of the other patients first, and then she would have to go back to the kitchen and get me a new tray of food. That would be in about two or so hours. (Just in time for lunch). I was so mad that I got up, unhooked all of my little friends and tubes, grabbed my purse and started to the elevator to go downstairs to the cafeteria where I was going to EAT something! The nurse was chasing after me saying that I should not leave the floor. I told her to sue me, that if they couldn't feed me, I was going to the cafeteria and feed myself! I continued on to the cafeteria where the head dietician rushed in to meet me. She had a tray of food and took me back to my room. I made a formal complaint, and the head dietician and the Cheif of staff came to apologize! WOOOO HOOOO!

God bless and stay well,

Maddi

6:52 PM  
Blogger Jerry and Celeste said...

well some folks just dont learn do they? i hope they can get the diet right! geez thank goodness she was coherent and knew not to eat that stuff! boy what a mess she would have been. Well ill be surprised to hear what she thought of the diabetes class! I think it can be improved. I hope she didnt have to wait for her food long! When you lie there in bed, with nothing but the tv and the loud noisy neighbors, all you look forward to is your bowl of broth! SOMETHING to do!

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home