Lisa's pancreatitis journey

Chronicling the life of a person impending apon life altering surgery. Removal of a pancreas and other major organs and how it affects pain levels after.

Name:
Location: Richmond, Indiana, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I have 2 cat children that I adore. I suffered for 10 years with chronic pancreatitis. I suffered horribly, no one should have to live I like I did.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Sorry I have not posted much today. I was unable to get back on-line at the hospital after I posted that last one, so I had to wait until I got back to the hotel. When I came back in the early evening, I was unable to connect there in my room. The Radisson hotel has the worst wireless connectivity I have ever seen at a hotel. The signal always bounced back and forth between low and very low...anyway.

Lisa is doing well. Even better than we had expected. Her insulin levels on are running at 1 unit per hour. and her blood sugars have stayed between 88 and 120. When it gets above 110, they adjust it a little. She has TPN going with lipids. Dilaudid PCA, EKG, Pulse Ox, foley catheter, intrajugular venous access, which they will discontinue tomorrow and put in a peripheral IV, She should be adequately hydrated by now, so they shouldn't have too much trouble finding a vein. She is passing some gas now and has some bowel sounds on the right...just what she wanted the world to know LOL. The lady in the same room with her is being discharged tomorrow. She had a total pancreatectomy also and she is on going home on postop day 11. Good for her.

Thank you so much for your prayers. They are being answered. She walks to the bathroom almost without assistence (still holds on to the IV pole and has the nurse right there). She has been using her incentive spirometer frequently and talks about wanted to get better and take her life back. Before I left the hospital room she was getting the gauge on the spirometer up to 1250, and she on postop day 3. This morning she was getting it up to 500, just to show you the improvement. She still needs rest and she is very sore, but she is improving by the hour.

I am packing the van tonight, because I am going to leave first thing in the morning, and I don't want to get bogged down at 4am. I am hoping to be on the road before 4:30, so I can reach home while the sun is still shining. That way I will do my night driving while I am the most alert. That is my plan anyway.

Lisa wanted me to thank everyone for the e-cards that have been delivered. Your words of encouragement mean a great deal to her. Unfortunately they volunteers do not deliver them on the weekend and she received them in one stuffed envelope Monday afternoon. Keep them coming for her. She was grateful. Although I will be home tomorrow evening, I will continue to post her progress. Thank you for reading this blog. I have enjoyed keeping our friends and familiy and coworkers informed. She hopes that maybe someone will benefit from her story. Goodnight, friends.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry and Celeste said...

hmm bummer on the connectivity, i was right over the starbucks (hotspot) so i didnt have that prob. since you were on other side maybe that made a difference? i wouldnt think a few feet would do that but who knows? Maybe we will have to suggest folks book rooms on the side with the starbucks? oh well we will figure it out as more and more go and get RELIEF!!

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home