Lisa's pancreatitis journey

Chronicling the life of a person impending apon life altering surgery. Removal of a pancreas and other major organs and how it affects pain levels after.

Name:
Location: Richmond, Indiana, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I have 2 cat children that I adore. I suffered for 10 years with chronic pancreatitis. I suffered horribly, no one should have to live I like I did.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Good morning Richmond, In.
Thank YOU JESUS for getting me home in one piece. I may have lost a few pieces along the way, but I think they were garbage organs anyway. I am finally HOME. It is more wonderful than I could have ever imagined.
I am very tired, and worn for the wear. Those of us who have had pancreatitis, must be a special breed ( not patting my own back here, seriously) I don't know how we do it, I guess it is because we have too, I would not have wished the last 10 years on Satan himself, but that is all done and over with now. The surgery is a bigger deal than I ever dreamed, I am so very weak, and tired. But, the pain that I once had is gone. I still have some back pain, and I think it is post-op related. I don't know if I felt the bowel obstruction or the pancreatitis the most before, either way it hurt terribly bad and that is gone now. Now I just have to get my strength built back up. I am having a little difficulty eatting, I think it was because it had been so long since I had eatten any real quantity of food. It is however increasing amounts each day which is good. I didn't get where I couldn't eat over night and won't get where I can eat plates full of food over night either. I will take it slow. My blood sugars are doing well, and have only had to do the coverage insulin 2 while hosptialized. Each time that was only 1 unit of Novalog. I have actually lowered the amount of insulin they had me taking, it was to be 10 U of Lantus and my sugar was 68 at 3am in the hotel, so I drank half a cup of sprite and that brought it right up, seems I go low at night while I am sleeping and that scares me some, I am glad to be home with my family that way they can tell if something is wrong. Dr. Sutherland wants me to see my pcp next week, I am keeping a log of my bs and according to him, I may even have the Lantus discontinued next week, I sure hope so.
I just wanted to let everyone know I am home. Thanks to my frequent visitors and personal "pep team and cheerleading squad." You all know who you are. Thanks to my husband for being the best coach a girl could have. I love hello kitty and came home to a bed made with hello kitty sheets, and a new hello kitty pillow. What a guy... I don't know where I would be without him, my Knight in Shining Armor. There will be much more to tell later, I just want to rest and bask in the relaxation of "HOME".

Thumpy your dead and gone, you won't get my condolensences. Back to the dirt you came from, where you belong.


Lisa

3 Comments:

Blogger Jerry and Celeste said...

WHOO HOO glad you are home safe! do you take your lantus before bed? if so i bet you will quit it! jerry takes his in the AM. Just hang in there girl! youve done the worst and survived you will reap the rewards!! Hallelujah no more Panc pain and most likely no more insulin shots.. you got MORE than enough islets and we are so tickled for you !!! THANK GOODNESS you didnt wait 15+years and loose those islets.. NOW as nasty as this surgery is if others would just avail themselves of the chance!!!

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your homecoming Lisa. The best advice I can give you now, is listen to your body. I kept telling the doctors that something wasn't right after my TP/ICT, and they kept saying I was fine. I was released after 3 weeks, and after one day at home, was transported by ambulance back to U of MN. Pulmonary Embolism and Pneumonia and Blood Infection. Another two weeks, and I was released for the second time. Something still wasn't right. So, I ended up in my local hospital for one week, then taken by ambulance to a larger hospital with a liver abscess from the surgery. Another 2 weeks there for a total of 49 days inpatient. So...listen to your body. Find a doctor who will listen to you. Don't give up. Things will soon turn around for you. I'm so happy you've made it home. I remember how much I missed by Simon-kitty. Snuggle with your cat and get some rest.
Your friend,
SamT

4:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I Lisa,

I am so glad you are home and doing so well!

My blood sugars drop while I am sleeping too, sometimes. It always wakes me up when I get to a certain low...50's-60's. I know immediately because I am confused, soaking wet from head to toe, and shivering with cold. So, I don't worry any more. I guess God wakes me up when my blood sugars are low. I trust Him to take good care of me. When I wake up like that, I know to drink something really sweet...(my wellness nurse for diabetes says cola is the best to get the sugar up quick), then I eat a couple fo crackers and a little cheese to keep my blood sugars up through the night. The cola will get the sugars up, but they will drop soon enough...therefore, the cheese (protein.)

Your husband has been so good to keep us updated! Thank him for us!

You rest and get your strength back!

God bless and stay well,

Maddi

PS! By the way, I came across Weird Al's "Pancreas" song/video and was allowed to download it onto my blog page. It is so funny! I think you would love it. If you want to watch the video go to:

http://day-with-maddi.blogspot.com/

It should lead you right to the page with the video. Double click on the arrow on the center of the sdreen. It is very funny!

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home