Lisa's pancreatitis journey

Chronicling the life of a person impending apon life altering surgery. Removal of a pancreas and other major organs and how it affects pain levels after.

Name:
Location: Richmond, Indiana, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I have 2 cat children that I adore. I suffered for 10 years with chronic pancreatitis. I suffered horribly, no one should have to live I like I did.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

10-17-06

I went to the pain management Dr. today and my intrathecal pump was decreased by 10%. My surgery has been less than 4 weeks and I am now already decreasing the amount of baseline pain medication. Everyone there was pleased with my progress. I also took all of my old medications and had them count and waste them. There were people in my family who said " why did you do that". My rationale is that I have no pancreas pain now, if I should develope pain that necessitates an Actiq then I need to be seen by a physician right away, something is terribly wrong. I have went weeks now with no pancreatic pain, I don't think now that I am eatting that it is going to return out of the blue. I still have some post- op pain and that is a deep pain, so much different from the pancreatic pain.
My BS dropped on me today, but it was my fault, the pain management Dr. is about 90 miles round trip and I didn't eat lunch. We were in a hurry and the office had moved we had to find it. Once in there I had to meet with the NP's and then talk with the nurse who fills my pump by the time we got out to the front desk I felt shaky, and I knew I needed to check it. It was 67 I felt shaky and nauseous, I used a glucose chew my husband was in the process of driving to Boston Market. I ate most of my food, especially the carbs. I checked when we got home it was 126. I am usually in the 120's after the 2 hour mark, I am so sensitive to the Novolog that I have only adminstered it twice and both times were in the hosptial. Every time I had it, there was a hypoglycemic incident. It is not unusual for the BS to be 149 2 hours after a meal and then 40 minutes later be 107. My weekly average is 117 for the past 7 days. Dr. Sutherland said " 120 fasting and 140 post pranial ( or after eatting)." The site of my j-tube has almost healed it is very small, about 1/4 inch in depth. All in all this surgery has been extremely succesful for me. Anyone who like to get into contact with Dr. Sutherland may call 612-625-7600 this is the office number.

Lisa

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry and Celeste said...

You are doing so good! you might want to keep some cheese and crackers or some kind of starch in the car for emergency. we had to learn that one the hard way too! Hope all keeps going well and you continue to improve rapidly!! Bet those cats were sooooooooooo glad to see you home!

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home