Lisa's pancreatitis journey

Chronicling the life of a person impending apon life altering surgery. Removal of a pancreas and other major organs and how it affects pain levels after.

Name:
Location: Richmond, Indiana, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I have 2 cat children that I adore. I suffered for 10 years with chronic pancreatitis. I suffered horribly, no one should have to live I like I did.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006


October 10,2006
Seems that some of my fan club are wanting more information about how I am doing. First thanks Guys, without loyal readers there wouldn't be a need. I don't want to give the wrong impression that I am out running around, or eatting bowls full of food. This is the recoup phase, and boy do I need it. I don't know if I am getting old or if it was because I was so sick when this surgery was done, but I sure feel like I have been hit by a truck. I have been on alot of pain medicines over the years and Dr. Sutherland told me that would be the worse part getting off the narcotics, he said "you maybe one who can't, although you seem determined to me, even if you can't you really did have a problem, so it shouldn't be such a big deal". I just feel weak, I did loose 2L of blood and did have 3 blood transfusions ( 2 in surgery and 1 on the floor). Here is a picture of me when Michael picked me up at the airport. I still don't know how I did all of that, I guess you do what you have to do. It was about 1am last Wed. morning 10-4-06 when my flight came in.
I have been thinking about what I could do that would make it easier for those who follow in my foot steps. There were alot of things that I wasn't prepared for and things that I was too prepared for. When packing for this surgery, don't do like I did and take a bunch of stuff, you will be responsible for getting it back and believe me you will not feel like carrying all of the stuff you will have. I was told I might have physical therapy so I took clothes for rolling in the floor and never wore them one time, it was just stuff to lug from the hospital to the hotel and then to the airport. Don't take more than 2-3 outfits plus the one you are wearing. Don't worry about tons of underwear you won't be wearing them, I tried with the staples and it just rubbed them don't waste your space, take about 5 pair plus the ones your wearing. Do take a tooth brush one will NOT be offered to you, plus your favorite tooth paste. Do take a hair brush. Don't worry about a nice pair of pjs or gown you will be in a hospital gown your whole stay, I had the PICC line up until discharge and the way they put my in no arm opening was big enough except those big huge hospital gowns take at the most 2 pairs of something to sleep in. One thing I really like is clean socks, you will be up moving after day 2 take as many as you think you will need, the moving is not a constant you just get up and walk when you want to (no one ever told me hey get up and walk, I just asked if I could and once they saw I was steady on my own two feet they let me at it) I tried to walk at least 2-3 times/day around the unit and then of course I left the unit some for trips to the pharmacy. Let me touch base on this subject: if you get sent to pharmacy for YOUR OWN glucometer make sure that pharamcy gives you everything you will need or you will make unnecessary trips that you don't have the energy for this is what you need from them 1. glucometer 2. strips 3. lancets 4. control solution ( this will make more sense with teaching) make yourself a check sheet and put it in your bag and take it with you when you go that way you don't have to walk down there like I did multiple times, you will get NO sympathy from the nurses they will tell you to do it, go get it yourself. I think it is there way of making us responsible for our diabetes education. They don't understand how bad we hurt, that is one thing that I got right off the bat, rememeber no one understood pancreatitis either that is just the way it is.
Don't bother bringing things like make-up ( you won't feel like applying it) rollers ( no I didn't go that far) don't bother with things like books you can't give them your full attention, your attention is drawn up with all the information being thrown at you and resting. The biggest thing I can say is rest up, you will get NO REST in the hospital, just as soon as you think you are comfortable and a sleep they will wake you up for your hourly BS test. Don't take large sums of money with you for safety they will have you lock up ALL valueables don't take rings or jelwery with you ( they will take it off of you) everything will go into the safe, and make sure the bag has your name on it not someone elses like mine. You will need picture ID, I suggest 1 credit card, 1-2 blank checks ( just encase)and your insurance cards anything else leave it at home unless it is something necessary I have to carry a card on me that says I have an implanted device without this card I cannot board an airplane because I make the metal detectors go off and of course they search me they have even put their hands up my shirt before, once they feel the pump under my skin and see the card they are ok with it. Another thing that might make things a little easier that I did was I asked my primary care Dr. for my insulin syringes before hand because the pharmacy in MN tried to give me a case of these it is a huge box that I didn't have room for I got these before I went and took about 10 syringes with me and cut the Rx off the box to cover us if we got pulled over. They will load you down with medications so much that I didn't have room for them, becareful I had to throw out things and download some of my stuff I just had to choose between what was the easiest to replace and such. If you have questions feel free to e-mail me at LRSmith84@yahoo.com this blog is dedicated to those people with pancreatitis the men and women who came before me and the ones who will come after me, life doesn't have to be the way that it is, step out of your comfort zone take the risk that things will get better, life with pancreatitis is not something that I would wish on anyone, take heart there is hope, hope that I didn't think existed for a long time. The road is long and hard, but doable. Your life is never going to get better with this disease. I would have rather died trying than died of pancreatitis. Thanks again to the dedicated readers of this blog, if we can reach one person then our efforts and time will have been worth it.

Lisa

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerry and Celeste said...

WOW great post!! so much to comment on.. im heading to bed its nearly 3am. gotta be to work at 9. ugh.. anyhow.. will respond more later.. but very very good and informative.. Im just sorry you had such a rough group! jerry had no probs with his.. They certainly made me ashamed to have praised my group and then you get a cruddy group dang..

3:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home