Lisa's pancreatitis journey

Chronicling the life of a person impending apon life altering surgery. Removal of a pancreas and other major organs and how it affects pain levels after.

Name:
Location: Richmond, Indiana, United States

I am a wife and a mom. I have 2 cat children that I adore. I suffered for 10 years with chronic pancreatitis. I suffered horribly, no one should have to live I like I did.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

July 12, 2006

What a week. My male cat was neutered on Monday. When brought him home (the love of his life, his sister cat) hated him. She wanted to KILL him. They say it has to do with the smell of the vet and it brings back bad memories of being in the pound. I have spent Monday and Tuesday attempting to keep them apart. I got up today and all is well. Thank YOU LORD!! This was absolutely breaking my heart. She would try to beat him up and he would just look real sad at her " what did I do?"" I am sorry" I have pictures of them laying on the back of the couch together so intertwined you can't tell who is who. The thought of them not loving each other was more than I could stand. Apart from our family the only thing they know is each other; as they were cage mates at the pound. But now all is well with the " Atwell's" When the children are happy, mama is happy.
I did some much needed cleaning today, of course I had alot of feline help. It makes things take much longer, but they are an eager bunch to stay right beside mom and learn EVERYTHING!!!!
Pancreatitis, yes, it is still there. I have less than 1 month now before surgery. My mother called our local newspaper to tell them about this and of course I have heard nothing. Probably never will. I am nobody, my family isn't rich, we don't have a prestigious name so it will go know where. Sorry about this color, it is hard to see. At least the grey day is over.
Pain med issues AGAIN. I called for a refill, which isn't the problem. I get my RX's through my husband's work. They know that around every 15-18 days I will need a refill, of course they didn't have enough in the vault. I have to wait until Thursday when the shipment comes in. Oh, I could take the 31 they have and forfeit the rest of the 60. The hateful lady tells me " but you will not get it split up" In my heart of hearts I just wanted to say " did I ask you to split it up?' Some times I want to say " what license do you have?" I know she doesn't she is a pharmacy tech. Then when I come off with the medical lingo and jargon, she realize's oh, no she must be a nurse. I did tell her " if I decide to take the 31 you have and forfeit the other, you will write a letter to my Dr. telling him that you didn't have the rest available and that I DID NOT RECIEVE IT!" Who would be stupid enough to sell the only thing that keeps them from committing the unthinkable, not me. As with everything with pancreatitis, they don't get it either. There is one lady that works in pharmacy there that if looks could kill I would already be dead, she has her preconcieved idea of what I am or what she thinks I am and nothing is going to change that one. Once I went to get an RX and she looked at me, and said something smart. I told her my husband is an employee here and this is where I get my RX's filled. She said " it will be about an hour" I said" fine I will go to the gift shop and look around and I need some tube feeding supplies" I will be back. I just want to tell her" look the Dr. wrote the script I haven't altered it, if you want to call, call he will tell you to fill it" I have had problems with this place as they don't understand why I need pain medication. It just couldn't possibly hurt this bad. There are some there that are alright and will try and help with ordering the tube feeding solution. There have been times where I have wanted to say " are you trying to imply something, don't imply just come right out and say it" I have discussed these issues with my pcp and I have told him, this is a benefit that my husband has, and I am going to use it.
Nobody here wants to talk about surgery, everybody is busy with there own life. Work, school whatever, it is all consuming to them. I don't think that anyone has even considered that I might not come back. I am not saying there will be a problem, but who knows. I think I will cover my butt and get a durable power of attorney for health care decisions. The last thing I want is to end up in some persistant vegitative state hooked to a ventilator. If there is no hope, then turn it off. Sorry but the organs ( what are left of them) are probably destroyed from way too much pain medication. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a will made out either, will keep the arguing to a minimum. I plan on coming home believe that, but I also am a planner by nature. Why else would I have 5 extra bottles of dish liquid in the garage. I think alot of my hoarding comes from being sick and not being physically able to go get what I might need. So the basics of life ( the everyday stuff) is here in bulk.
The cooking food and freezing it is coming along. I just fix a little extra and then what is not eatten it goes in a freezer bag and labeled what it is and the date it was fixed. Should work just fine.
I have been putting more thought into what it will be like having to carry a glucometer and insulin and syringes. I always kept a RX from the box with me just encase I would get pulled over so that I have a prescription on me that explains why I carry narcotics. Now I will need that for the other. If it takes the pain away I will carry cases if need be. Well my shoulder is hurting referred pain from pancreas ( thumpy).
The previous picture was taken when I was about 22 my daughter was about 4-5, How the time goes bye. Notice she is holding on the pool for dear life, now she is a fish when it comes to swimming and ready to turn 22.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home